Monday, February 6, 2012

Moonlight Challenge - First Ultra 2012

On a freezing cold saturday at 6pm I stood in a field in Kent waiting for the start of the race. Listening to rugby on the car radio I watched as people huddled together to keep warm. It was baltic!! The moonlight challenge is a 32.75 off road race and it is not for the faint hearted. The snow was forecast for 11pm.
I set off and initially 2 of us set the early pace. I settled into a comfortable second place, the early leader was setting a frenetic pace, simply too hot to handle. Conditions under foot were poor, frozen hard ground resulted in very sore feet. Head torches lit up the countryside as we weaved our way around the course. At around 10pm the snow arrived and the containers at the water stops had frozen solid!! After 5 hours 11 minutes of running through a snow blizzard, with wet feet and frozen hands it was finally over!! My first and shortest ultra of the year was complete!! And I felt ok!!! Live it.................

No comments:

Post a Comment